Week 1 (1st-7th): Spring; Letter “Yy”
• Letter “Yy” introduction – recognition, formation and sound
• Letter Yy tracing
• Letter Yy word bank
• Letter Y yarn outlining
• Making the letter Yy using blocks
• Cotton ball rain cloud craft
• Kite craft and cutting activity
• Birds in a nest craft
• Dandelion fork or q-tip craft
• Paper plate sunshine’s
• Books, songs and finger-plays to go along with the weeks theme
Week 2 (8th-14th) In the Garden; Letter “Zz”
• Letter “Zz” introduction – recognition, formation and sound
• Letter Zz tracing
• Letter Zz word bank
• Zig-zag “Z” activity
• Making the letter Z with play dough
• What do we need to make a garden and to help our plants grow?
• Parts of a flower activity
• Carrot in the mud craft
• Construction paper watering can
• “The Tiny Seed” by Eric Carle story and craft
• Lima Bean in window experiment
• Plant a flower or vegetable (weather depending)
Week 3 (15th-21st) Week of the Young Child; Letter Review A-Z
Monday April 16th- Friday April 20th
“Week of the Young Child”
The Week of the Young Child is an annual celebration hosted by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), celebrating early learning, young children, their teachers and families. We are so excited for a week-long celebration of our young learners!
Monday April 16th
Mad Science & Music Madness Monday
Through music, children develop math, language, and literacy skills- all while having fun and being active! We will have our regular music class with Miss Erin who will teach us the power of creative dance and how to connect beats to music by using movement and counting!
We also have a special visit from a Mad Scientist coming in at 10:00 AM to do different experiments for us!
Tuesday April 17th
The Dennis Thomas Magic Show will be coming to perform the “Circus Show” for the whole school at 10:00AM! Dennis Thomas has specialized in entertaining young children for over 25+ years with his fun- filled, educational magic shows. We are all thrilled to enjoy his performance.
Wednesday April 18th
Can you think of a better idea for wacky Wednesday then a bounce house? That’s right! We have a Ninja bounce castle/ slide combo coming for the day! Each class will have allotted time to be able to bounce and be wacky!
Wacky Wednesday calls for some wacky outfits! Let’s see how creative you and your child can be! Each class will vote on the wackiest outfit and the winner will be rewarded with some extra bouncing time!
Thursday April 19th
Pajama Day & Artsy Thursday
Children develop creativity, social skills and fine motor skills with open-ended art projects where they can make choice, use their imaginations, and create with their hands. We will be doing various art activities such as exploring with slime, shaving cream and finger paints. We will bring art outdoors and provide materials for your child to create pictures of their versions of the day and night sky.
Friday April 20th
Engaging and celebrating families is at the heart of supporting young learners! We will be offering breakfast for yourself and your child during morning drop off on Friday from 7-9 Give yourself a few extra minutes to enjoy a nutritional breakfast snack (yogurt, granola and fruits) with your child on us! We will have the lunch room set up upon arrival, all we ask is that when you are finished please escort your child back to their classroom.
To help celebrate your family, each class will have a show and tell- family style! Please help your child in choosing something special about your family with their class. It could be something as simple as a picture of your family on an annual vacation, a special story you read every night before bed or as complex as teaching everyone an Irish song and jig! If you have any questions or need help with this activity, ask your child’s teacher and we would be happy to help you come up with an idea!
Week 4 (22nd-28th) Earth Day; Recycling; Numbers 1 & 2
• Introduction of numbers 1 and 2, recognizing and formation
• Making groups of 1 and 2
• 1 and 2 number and word tracing
• Numbers 1 and 2 outlining using various materials
• Importance of earth day – How can we protect our earth and keep it clean
• What is recycling?
• Marbled earth craft
• EARTH (outlining the word using different things from outside)
• Recycled robot craft
• Recycled flower craft
• Recycled plastic Easter egg flower pots
• Paper towel roll tree for arbor day on April 27th